28 Dec ChemResearch Corporation is a HUBZone-Certified Metal Finishing Contractor
At ChemResearch Corporation (CRC), we are committed to developing and strengthening underutilized sections of the nation. For us, this means empowering our local community and employees during their tenure with our company. We are proud to maintain our status as a HUBZone-certified small business that serves our local community in Phoenix, Arizona. Businesses that partner with us support a vital initiative that strengthens a new foundation for American industry.
What Exactly Is a HUBZone Certification?
At its core, the Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) is a program organized by the United States Small Business Administration (SBA) to bring more work to small communities. HUBZone seeks to incentivize the federal government to partner with small businesses headquartered and operating in underdeveloped regions.
Businesses that wish to hold this certification must meet set qualifications yearly to continue to provide economic development in previously disadvantaged regions. To get a HUBZone certification, a business must meet the following qualifications:
- It must qualify as a small business by SBA standards.
- U.S. citizens, a Community Development Corporation, an agricultural cooperative, an Alaska Native corporation, a Native Hawaiian organization, or a Native American tribe.
- It must maintain a principal office in a HUBZone.
- It must employ a workforce in which 35% of the employees live in a HUBZone.
The federal government creates HUBZone designations using regularly updated census data, ensuring correct documentation of underdeveloped regions. However, current HUBZone designations are frozen until at least June 30, 2023, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic interfering with the 2020 census. Until the next census, HUBZone-certified businesses must only maintain their previous locations and majority ownership and operation by Americans to maintain certification.
What Are the Benefits of a HUBZone Certification?
HUBZone certification provides small businesses serving underutilized communities an essential advantage in competing with the larger firms that typically dominate government contracts. The benefits will vary, depending on the contracts bidded on.
HUBZone certification offers the following benefits:
- Only HUBZone-certified businesses may bid for certain contracts.
- HUBZone-certified businesses receive a 10% preferential price evaluation and exclusive subcontracting opportunities in full and open contract competitions.
- The federal government must award at least 3% of all dollars spent on federal prime contracts to HUBZone-certified businesses.
- Federal agencies have a mandated 3% HUBZone budgetary target, resulting in a constant need for agencies to partner with small businesses.
Overall, this program has resulted in HUBZone-certified contractors competing more fairly with larger firms. This helps to ensure that marketplace domination and industrial stagnation do not occur. It has also strengthened local economies by providing employees with steady work to become financially secure.
Seeking a HUBZone-Certified Metal Finishing Contractor?
There are distinct advantages to working with a HUBZone certified contractor for public agencies and private enterprises. Small businesses can supply high-quality work on local levels that many larger firms struggle to handle.
At CRC in Phoenix, AZ, we partner with firms and agencies as a single-source metal finishing service provider for the aerospace and defense industries and several other fields. Contact us today at either 602-253-4175 or 877-457-5283 to build a better partnership for your organization and our local community.
Photo by ThisisEngineering RAEng on Unsplash